Home / Newsletters / Immigration

Immigration Newsletters

Immigrant Visas – Employment-Based Visas – Labor Certification – Job Offers and Portability

Some aliens who wish to immigrate permanently to the United States in employment-based visa categories must obtain labor certifications before they will be issued visas. Specifically, nearly all aliens in the EB-2 and EB-3 categories must obtain these authorizations from the U.S. Secretary of Labor. EB-2 applicants hold advanced degrees or have exceptional abilities, while EB-3 applicants hold bachelor’s degrees or their equivalents, have at least two years’ experience as skilled workers, or work as unskilled laborers in areas for which there are no qualified U.S. workers.

Medicaid Coverage for Qualified Aliens

Medicaid, a federal and state funded program of health care coverage, provides important benefits to low-income and disabled Americans. Some immigrants, aliens who travel to the United States permanently to live and work, are also eligible for Medicaid coverage. To be eligible, an immigrant must meet the definition of a qualified alien. Additionally, a five-year bar on immigrant benefits applies to many qualified aliens, so this period must expire before immigrants subject to the bar may receive benefits.

Methods Of Acquiring Citizenship -Birth Outside The United States

In the mid-1800s, the United States Congress first passed a law stating that children born abroad to Americans were U.S. citizens. Under current law, there are six situations in which a child born abroad acquires U.S. citizenship or nationality. In all six situations, at least one parent must be a U.S. citizen or national. Additionally, there are sometimes additional requirements that must be met, such as U.S. residence of the qualifying parent.

Nonimmigrants – Commercial Truck Drivers

Alien travelers wishing to enter the United States on a temporary basis must obtain visas, which entitle them to present themselves at an U.S. port-of-entry and to request admission to the country. If they are transporting cargo in the stream of international commerce, commercial truck drivers may be eligible for a travel visa for a business traveler, known as a B-1 visa.

US-VISIT and Exit Procedures

With security concerns on the rise, the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has implemented an official entry procedure for aliens traveling to the U.S. with nonimmigrant visas, and it is testing an official exit procedure, as well. The programs apply only to aliens who hold nonimmigrant, that is, temporary, visas, and they are designed both to expedite travel and to improve homeland security.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form

!-- Facebook Pixel Code -->