Home / Areas of Practice / Fiancée and Fiancé Visas

K-1: Fiancé(e) Visa

If your fianc(é) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fianc(é). Usually, you will need to show that you and your fianc‚(é) have met within the prior two years. After the petition is approved, USCIS will contact the relevant overseas U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fianc‚(é) will present documents and apply for a visa. The marriage must take place within 90 days after your fianc‚(é) enters the U.S. with the fianc‚(é) visa.

After you are married, your fianc‚(é) should apply to become a permanent resident and apply for work authorization, if desired. If the green card application is approved, he or she will receive “Conditional” permanent residency, which is granted when the marriage creating the relationship is fewer than two years old at the time of adjustment to permanent residence status. 90 days prior to the end of the two year period of conditional residence you and your spouse will need to apply to lift those conditions for your spouse to gain permanent residence.




Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form

!-- Facebook Pixel Code -->