Home / Areas of Practice / Fiancé and Fiancée visas

K-1: Fiancé(e) Visa

If your fiance(é) is not a citizen of the United States and you plan to get married in the United States, then you must file a petition with USCIS on behalf of your fiance(é). Usually, you will need to show that you and your fiance(é) have met within the prior two years. After the petition is approved, USCIS will contact the relevant overseas U.S. Embassy or consulate where your fiance(é) will present documents and apply for a visa. The marriage must take place within 90 days after your fiance(é) enters the U.S. with the fiance(é) visa.

After you are married, your fiance(é) should apply to become a permanent resident and apply for work authorization, if desired. If the green card application is approved, he or she will receive “Conditional” permanent residency, which is granted when the marriage creating the relationship is less than two years old at the time of adjustment to permanent residence status. 90 days prior to the end of the two year period of conditional residence, you and your spouse will need to apply to lift those conditions for your spouse to gain permanent residence.




Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form

!-- Facebook Pixel Code -->