Home / Areas of Practice / EB-2: Advanced Degree and Exceptional Ability


The EB-2 classification includes; aliens who are “members of the professions holding advanced degrees or their equivalent.” A petition for a foreign professional holding an advanced degree may be filed when the job requires an advanced degree (beyond the baccalaureate) and the alien possesses such a degree or the equivalent. The petition must include documentation, such as an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. advanced degree or a foreign equivalent degree, or an official academic record showing that the alien has a U.S. baccalaureate degree or a foreign equivalent degree and letters from current or former employers showing that the alien has at least five years of progressive post-baccalaureate experience in the specialty.

Physicians: Qualified alien physicians who will be practicing medicine in an area of the United States certified by the Department of Health and Human Services as underserved may also qualify for this classification.

Application Procedures

USCIS Form I-140 Petition for Alien Worker is required as well as an approved, individual labor certification from the Department of Labor. Because there is sometimes no backlog of visa numbers in this category, applicants may submit concurrently the I-140 and application for permanent residence (green card) and application for employment authorization.


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form

!-- Facebook Pixel Code -->